Kara Han is released their new album ‘Canavarlar’ (Monsters).
Turkish Folk Metal band Kara Han is back with their 4th studio album “Canavarlar”. The group, who wrote songs from Turkish Culture from the Huns to the present, did not break their lines in their new albums.
“Canavarlar” (Monsters), as the name suggests, deals with the supernatural and terrifying creatures of Turkish Mythology and myths. It is also noteworthy as it is one of the few concept albums recorded in Turkish.
The Cover images of the album were created by the comic artist Bartu Bölükbaşı.
- DUNGANGA: This track, which is the opening track of the album, is a fairy tale monster created mostly to scare children. It is common in Anatolia and is known for putting children in sacks and kidnapping them.
- DEPEGÖZ: A monster that has a story in Dedem Korkut manuscripts, is a water nymph and a shepherd named Aruz, was killed by Basat, who was raised by lions, and caused great damage to the Oghuz tribe it was brought to. For the first time in this song, Kara Han added the baglama to his music.
- ERLIK HAN: He is the first son of the greatest God Kayra Han. Due to his selfishness and despising people, he was banished underground and became the master of the place. It is the Turkish equivalent of Satan.
- MANKURT ORKESTRAL: The song, which was included in the first version of the album “At, Avrat, Metal”, found its place in the album with its orchestral version because it fits the concept. We got to know the acoustic side of the band in the previous album, and we saw their symphonic side with this song. Mankurt is a type of heavy torture that turns people into unconscious slaves in the old Turks.
- HUUR EDZEN: They are creatures that teach music and art in ancient Turks. Anyone who wants to learn these must have a rooster with him because at the end of the whole process Huur Edzen does not want to go. It is necessary to run away by throwing the rooster at them. It is one of three instrumental tracks on the album.
- ALBIS: She-monster wearing red, prong-toothed, bare-ass. It is said to haunt and kidnap women and babies, especially those who have just given birth. It can be disposed of with a sewing needle. It is notable for being the darkest track on the album.
- GULYABANI: The entity that haunts and destroys travelers. He is depicted with a large, long beard and with a scepter. The group also gave a nod to the recent past by using sounds from the cult Turkish movie “Süt Kardeşler”. In parallel with the movie, the closing of the song and the album is done with classical Ottoman piece “Kürdilihicazkar” Longa.
The last lineup of the group seems pretty settled. The launch concert of the album will be held on 3.10.21 at Dorock Taksim. Album will release on 30th of September.